Books & Arts
Instructions for reviewers and publishers
Titles available for review are advertised below. If you are a Fellow of the Society and would like to review one of them for us, please write to the Editor. You will be invited to keep the book in return for your efforts.
Geoscientist reviews are all 400 words long.
(Please note that titles advertised for review are not available from the Publishing House - unless otherwise stated.)
Geoscientist has a monthly circulation of c.12,000 copies, and is circulated exclusively to qualified professional Earth scientists worldwide, as well as Friends of the Society who are amateurs with an interest but no degree qualification in Earth sciences. If you want your book reviewed before this highly targeted readership, please send a review copy to:
Dr Ted Nield, Editor, Geoscientist, The Geological Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, LONDON W1J 0BG.
Books currently available for review by Fellows
(Fellows of the Society only please!)
- NEW! Chesapeake perspectives - decoding the deep sediments: Ecological History of Chesapeake Bay by Grace Brush. 2017 Maryland Sea Grant 63pp sbk
- NEW! Tectonics of the Deccan Large Igneous Province by Mukherjee et al. (Eds), 2017. Geol Soc Spec Pub #445 363pp, hbk
- NEW! The Mountains of Iron - a history of iron mining industry in Mid Antrim by Kevin J O'Hagan. 2017 140pp sbk
- NEW! The Englightened Mr Parkinson - the pioneering life of a forgotten English surgeon by Cherry Lewis 2017 310 pp, sbk pre-publication proof
- NEW! Quaternary Glaciation in the Mediterranean Mountains by Hughes and Woodward (eds) SP #433 2017 Geological Society 315pp hbk
- NEW! Seismicity, Fault Rupture and Earthquake Hazards in Slowly Deforming Margins by Landgraf et al (eds) 2017 Geological Society 261pp hbk
- NEW! Curbing Catastrophe - natural hazards and risk reduction in the modern world, by Timothy Dixon. Cambridge UP,300pp, hbk
- Women in Science - 50 fearless pioneers who changed the world by Rachel Ignotofsky.127pp, hbk
- Unearthed - Impacts of the Tellus Surveys of the north of Ireland by Mike Young (Ed) 423pp, sbk.
- Asteroids - Astronomical & Geological Bodies, by Thomas Burbine. 2017 Cambridge Planetary Science 367pp, hbk
- Land Surface remote Sensing, by Baghdadi N and Zribi M (eds). Elsevier 2017 342pp hbk
- Integrated Environmental modelling to Solve Real World Problems. Geol Soc Spec pub #408, 2017 by Riddick et al (eds)
- Petroleum Geoscience of the West Africa Margin. Geol Soc Spec. pub. #438, 2017 by Sabato Ceraldi et al (eds)
- Waves, Particles and Storms in Geospace by Balasis et al. 2016 Oxford University Press 448pp hbk
- Lake Pavin - history, geology, biogeochemistry and sedimentology of a deep meromictic maar lake, by Sime-Ngando et al., (Eds) 2016 Springer. 421pp, hbk
- Soda Lakes of East Africa by Michael Schagerl (Ed) 2016 Springer. 4-8pp, hbk.
- A History of the Solar System by Claudio Vita-Finzi. Springer Verlag 2016 100pp sbk
- Lake Bonneville - a scientific update edited by Oviatt and Shroder 2016 Elsevier, 659pp hbk
- Subsurface Flow and Imaging by Donald Wyman Vasco and Akhil Datta-Gupta 2016 Cambridge UP., 354pp, hbk
- Source to Sink Fluxes in undisturbed Cold Environments, by Beylich et al., (eds) 2016 Cambridge UP., 4-8pp, hbk
- Palaeomagnetism in fold and thrust belts - new perspectives Edited by Pueyo et al. 2016 Geological Society Special Publication #424. hbk
- River-dominated shelf sediments of East Asian seas. Edited by Clift et al. 2016 Geological Society Special Publication #429. hbk
- Ecological Climatology - concepts & Applications by Gordon Bonan (3rd Edn) 2016 CUP 692pp Hbk
- Stochastic Analysts of Scaling Time Series - from turbulence theory to applications by Schmitt FG and Huang Y. Cambridge UP 2016 204pp hbk
- Volcanic Geology of Sao Miguel Island (Azores Archipelago) by Gaspar et al (Eds) Geological Society Memoir #44, 2015 hbk 309pp
- Precession, Nutation and Wobble of the Earth by Dehant and Mathews 2015. Cambridge University Press, 536pp, hbk.
- From Somerset to the Pyrenees - in the steps of William Arthur Jones, Geologist and Antiquary by David Rabson. Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society 2015109pp, sbk.
- Fundamental Controls on Fluid Flow in Carbonates by Agar et al., Geological Society Special Publication #406
- The Use of Palaeomagnetism and Rock Magnetism to Understand Volcanic Processes by Ort et al. Geological Society of London Special Publication #396