Product has been added to the basket

Geological Society Discussion Group

The Discussion Group exists to foster discussion and debate on current geological research or practice, and societally relevant topics. 

Our meetings provide a chance to address topics, such as our role in the energy transition, in a relaxed setting whilst at the same time stimulating a broad and open debate. Discussion topics complement the major themes of the Society and aim to span the interests of all the Specialist Groups.

In order to maximise accessibility, meetings take the form of both in-person meetings and online presentations. The in-person meetings take place at different venues in London, including Burlington House. 

A Discussion Group Members' discount applies to the in-person meetings and guests (both Fellows and non members) are encouraged. 
In order to take full advantage of membership and to support speaker costs and student support, a Group membership charge of £30 (reduced to £15 for those living more than 100 miles from central London) can be added to your Fellowship fee. 

There are six meetings a year and a summer outing.

The Group has its roots in the Geological Society Club which was founded in 1824. Since being established as a Specialist Group of the Society in 2016, it has held both dinner and online discussions with a wide range of speakers and topics, summaries of which can be found here.

Our events

Your search for events returned the following 1 results.

Showing 1 to 1 of 1 results

Discussion Group: Show and tell evening

01 December 2021

Venue: The Athenaeum, London

  • Evening meeting
Showing 1 to 1 of 1 results

Links

Committee

Chair

The President

Vice Chair

David Norbury

Treasurer

Nic Bilham

Hon. Secretary

John Bennett (jnbennett@btinternet.com)

facebook icon of blue circle with a white f written inside Find us on Facebook

The Dining Club

The Geological Society Club developed out of the regular tavern dinners enjoyed by Members and was founded on 5 November 1824 at the Thatched-House Tavern in St James’s Street.