Launched in 2007 to celebrate 200 years of the Geological Society of London, the Lyell Collection is an online collection comprising of the Society’s journal titles, Special Publications and key book series. Cutting edge science sits alongside important historical material, all captured and presented to the highest electronic standards and benefiting from the extensive functionality of HighWire Press’ platform.
The Lyell Collection in a nutshell
- Journal of the Geological Society
- Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology
- Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis
- Petroleum Geoscience
- Scottish Journal of Geology**
- Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society**
- Journal of Micropalaeontology**
- Transactions of the Geological Society of London
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Geological Society**
- Special Publications*
- Engineering Geology Special Publications*
- Petroleum Geology Conferences series
- 18 000 peer-reviewed articles
- 260 000 pages of Earth science content
- Full-text archives back to 1811
- Selected open-access articles
- Free public access to alerts, search functions and abstracts
- Full electronic functionality and searchable content throughout
- Full-text in HTML and PDF format
- Active reference linking via CrossRef, GeoRef and ISI
- Free full-text linking to many other key Earth science journals, including GeoScienceWorld
- eTOC (electronic Table of Contents) and research alerts available to subscribers and non-subscribers
- GSL has partnered with the CLOCKSS Archive to ensure the digital preservation of Lyell Collection content for the future
- Specially-designed mobile sites for JGS, QJEGH, PG and GEEA, benefiting researchers and students alike. The content and layout of these mobile sites has been created specifically for viewing on a small screen whilst maintaining full text content of the current issue, archives, table of contents and the look and feel of the full web version.
Non-Fellows/institutions - see 'what does it include?' for more information.
Access for Fellows
Access to any of the four Society journals (JGS, QJEGH, GEEA, PG) is dependent on an annual subscription for each one.
*The Book Archive includes access to books published prior to the current and previous three calendar years. An additional Full Book Collection subscription is required for access to newer book content.
**Fellows can only access the content of the Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society, the Scottish Journal of Geology, Journal of Micropalaeontology or Transactions of the Edinburgh Geological Society by using pay-per-view
, purchasing a non-member subscription or by joining YGS
for the Proceedings, GSG
for the Scottish Journal or TMS
for the Journal of Micropalaeontology.
Please see access for Fellows
for further information.
Why is the Lyell Collection so named?
The Lyell Collection is named after Charles Lyell, the eminent nineteenth-century geologist whose work included the influential book, Principles of Geology, and the establishment of the Principle of Uniformitarianism. To mark the launch of the Lyell Collection all articles authored by Charles Lyell have been designated open access.