- To ensure that the scientific output of the Society is maintained at the highest international standards, identifying stimuli, monitoring and rewards, and to encourage the dissemination of the resulting knowledge.
- To develop a high quality and relevant portfolio of scientific meetings in London and around the UK.
- To advise on possible future Special Publications/thematic sets, and encourage publications resultant on meetings.
Terms of reference
Society Flagship Meetings
- To invite and evaluate proposals for flagship meetings, ensuring that they are of the highest possible scientific quality.
- To determine topics of scientific merit and of interest to the public.
Specialist Groups and Joint Associations
- To encourage and support meetings of the Specialist Groups and Joint Associations.
- To assist in maintaining and enhancing the stratigraphic framework of UK geology for both national and international research
- To offer guidance on scientific matters to the Library Committee to encourage the most effective dissemination and transfer of information to the geoscience community.
- To investigate ways of making the Library more accessible to Fellows.
The Science Committee will be chaired by the Honorary Secretary (Science).
The Executive Secretary, will attend meetings of the Committee. The secretariat will be provided by the Conference Manager.
Method of working
There will be at least four meetings of the Committee each year, held in advance of meetings of Council.
The Committee will establish sub- committees and working groups, as required, currently the Specialist Groups and Joint Associations Committee, the Stratigraphy Commission and the Technical and Organising Committees for the Bicentennial Conference in September 2007.