Note that a longer list of abbreviations commonly encounted in the world of geoscience - educational and otherwise - can be viewed in the acronym/organisations guide
- University Geoscience UK - www.chugd.ac.uk (website soon to be re-launched)
Formerly known as the Committee of Heads of University Geoscience Departments (CHUGD), University Geoscience UK is the subject association of geoscience (geology, applied geology, earth science, geophysics, geochemistry and some environmental science) departments based within universities in the British Isles. It promotes discussion and exchange of information between departments, and provides a point of contact between these and professional, government and quality control agencies. Membership is at departmental rather than individual level and all heads of department, or their nominees, are ex officio departmental representatives.
- Department for Children, Schools and Families (DCSF) - www.dfes.gov.uk (note that this web address, refering to the former Department for Education and Skills has been retained for DCSF)
- Department for Innovation, Universities and Skills (DIUS) - www.dius.gov.uk (change effective June 28 2007)
- Earth Science Education Forum (ESEF) is found at www.esef.org.uk Aims: To promote earth science in education at all levels and to bring together all relevant organisations in pursuit of this.
- Scottish Earth Science Education Forum (SESEF) - www.sesef.co.uk Aims: an association of educators and scientists established to promote understanding of planet Earth in Scottish schools and colleges.
- Earth Science Education Unit (ESEU) - www.earthscienceeducation.com The Earth Science Education Unit, based at Keele University, provides free INSET (in-service training) to teachers across England, Scotland and Wales, through workshops for schools, teacher meetings and teacher education institutions.
- Earth Science Teachers Association (ESTA) - www.esta-uk.net UK association for teachers of geoscience.
- Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences (GEES) National Subject Centre - The National Subject Centre supports and promotes high quality learning and teaching across the disciplines of Geography, Earth Science and Environmental Science.
- Qualifications and Curriculum Development Agency (QCDA) - www.qca.org.uk
- Science, Engineering, Technology and Mathematics Network (STEMNET) - www.stemnet.org.uk. Follow the link to obtain summary information on STEMNET.
- Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) - www.ucas.com