Product has been added to the basket

The Geological Society Club

The Geological Society Club developed out of the regular tavern dinners enjoyed by Members and was founded stlucia_dinner.jpgon 5 November 1824 at the Thatched-House Tavern in St James’s Street. The membership of the Club was limited to 40 Members who were invited to dine together on the days appointed for meetings of the Society.

In 1973 it was decided that most of the Club’s dinners should be ‘open’ events which all Fellows would be eligible to attend, be they members of the Club or not. This is still the case today, with just two dinners each year being ‘closed’ events1 .

The Club currently meets monthly (except over the field season!) at 6:30pm for 7pm in the Atheneum, Pall Mall. Occasionally meetings are held elsewhere including once a year at Burlington House. New diners are always welcome. Dates are advertised in Geoscientist.  Any Fellow wishing to dine should contact Dr Cally Oldershaw by email at cally.oldershaw@btopenworld.com.

The Club’s Archive is held by the Society. A description of the collection was written in 1995 by David Gray. Now out of print, it is reproduced within the Archive pages of this website.

1 Adapted from Herries Davies, Gordon L. (2007) Whatever is under the earth: the Geological Society of London 1807 – 2007 London: The Geological Society