Friends of the Society
Benefits of becoming a Friend of The Geological Society
The Friends of The Geological Society of London (GSL) scheme is open to all amateur, non-professional geologists. It was launched following the Shell London Lecture series which stimulated many people to ask how they could support the Society and find out more about the exciting work being done by geologists to address the intellectual and practical challenges of the twenty-first century.
A Friend can enjoy many benefits including:
- Free access to the Geological Society’s Fellows’ lounge
- Come and relax in the Fellows' lounge and read current Journals and newspapers.
- Use of our Library
- Free use of the Library for reference only (ie no borrowing; all other services at cost).
- Discount on Special Publications
- Friends can claim a 40% discount on the list price of books in the Society Special Publications series. Note that this discount only applies to purchases made by fax, telephone, email or post and not via the webshop.
- Monthly copy of Geoscientist
- Containing many interesting feature articles, our monthly membership magazine provides a link to what’s happening within the Society.
- Friends of the Geological Society event(s)
- Invitations will be sent to all Friends.
- Receive the Friends Newsletter, plus the option to receive the GSL online newsletter
- Become more involved by being one of the first to know about forthcoming events and activities.
- Access to the GSL’s regional group activities
- The GSL has 14 regional groups across the UK and welcomes new members. All Friends can join their nearest Regional Group.
- Information on courses available for amateur geologists
- Many external organisations provide short courses for amateur geologists.
- Preferential deals with organisations such as Wexas Travel, the Gourmet Society, Cotswold, LA Fitness and others. See Lifestyle Benefits for full details.
- Ask a Geologist service
How much does it cost?
Joining as a Friend costs £39 for a calender year with a discounted rate for joiners from 1 May. We encourage payment by direct debit to simplify renewals and keep our administrative costs to a minimum.
If you have queries about your suitability or your application, please contact Judi Lakin