Books & Arts
Instructions for reviewers and publishers
Titles available for review are advertised below. If you are a Fellow of the Society and would like to review one of them for us, please write to the Editor. You will be invited to keep the book in return for your efforts.
Geoscientist reviews are all 400 words long.
(Please note that titles advertised for review are not available from the Publishing House - unless otherwise stated.)
Geoscientist has a monthly circulation of c.12,000 copies, and is circulated exclusively to qualified professional Earth scientists worldwide, as well as Friends of the Society who are amateurs with an interest but no degree qualification in Earth sciences. If you want your book reviewed before this highly targeted readership, please send a review copy to:
Dr Ted Nield, Editor, Geoscientist, The Geological Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, LONDON W1J 0BG.
Books currently available for review by Fellows:
(Fellows of the Society only please!)
- NEW! Water in the Energy Industry - an introduction by Williams and Simmonds, 2013 British Petroleum. 107pp, sbk.
- NEW! Biomass in the Energy Industry - an introduction by Davis, Hay & Pierce 2014 British petroleum.117pp, sbk.
- NEW! Exploring the Nevis Range and Mamores, by James Barnet. Mereo, Cirencester. 253pp, sbk
- NEW! A Memoir to the Map & Delineation of the Strata of England & Wales with part of Scotland by William Smith. Facsimile edition, British Geological Survey 52pp sbk
- NEW! Hidden Riches - a celebration of the Mining Institute of Scotland, by Richard Crocket, with Craig Durham & Graham Smith 2015 The Mining Institute of Scotland 134p, sbk.
- NEW! Elements of petroleum Geology 3rd Edn., by Richard E Selley. This is an e-book. Please email the Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive a link.
- Geoethics - Ethical Challenges and Case Studies in Earth Sciences 2015 by Wyss and Peppoloni. Elsevier425pp hbk
- Experiments in Reduced Gravity - sediment settling on Mars by Nicholas Kuhn 2015 Elsevier166pp sbk
- Your Life as Planet Earth by Howard Lee. A fully referenced, hyperlinked eBook suitable for a general audience and new college students. There is no hard copy. Contact email@example.com if you are interested in reviewing an e-book.
- Arsenic - Environmental Geoschenistry, Mineralogy and Microbiology by Bowell R J et al., (eds), Reviews in Mineralogy & Geochemistry v. 79. Mineralogical Society of America/Geochemical Society. pbk 635pp.
NEW! The Anthropocene - the Human Era and How it Shapes our Planet, by Christian Schwagerl. Synergetic Press 235pp, sbk.
- Quaternary sea-level changes - a global perspective, by Murray-Wallace and Woodroffe. Cambridge UP, 2014
- Aquatic Organic Matter Fluorescence, Ed by Paula Coble et al., 2014 Cambridge UP
- Frederick W Harmer: a scientific biography by John A Kington. Apringer Briefs in Environment, Security, Development and Peace 19, 2014 ISBN 9783319077031 97pp sbk
- Tectonic Evolution of the Oman Mountains (SP392) by Rollinson et al., 2014 Geological Society of London 471pp hbk
- Sediment Provenance Studies in Hydrocarbon Exploration & Production by Scott et al., 2014, Geological Society of London SP 386420pp, hbk
- Suffering the fire 2014 Barry Hotson. Cillian Press, 246pp sbk. A novel based on first hand experience of the Flixborough Disaster, when an oil refinery blew up causing many deaths - including that of the author's father - in 1974.
- Formation, Detection & Characterization of Extrasolar Habitable Planets 2014 Nader Haghighipour (ed) IAU (CUP) 463pp hbk
- The Finite-Difference Modelling of Earthquake Motions - Waves and Ruptures 2014 by Peter Moczo et al., Cambridge University Press 365pp hbk
- Isotopic Studies in Cretaceous Research, by Bojar A-v et al. (Eds) Published by The Geological Society 2013 SP 382 221pp (hbk)
- Thick Skin Dominated Orogens - from initial inversion to full accretion by Mencok, Mora & Cosgrove (eds)., 2013 Geological Society Special Publication 377 482pp (hbk)
- The Seismic Analysis Code - a primer and user's guide. By George Helfrich et al. Cambridge University Press 2013 173pp sbk.
- Global Optimization Methods in Geophysical Inversion (2nd Ed) by Mrinal K Sen and Paul L Stoffa. Cambridge University Press 2013 289pp hbk