1. Geological Society Events, 2017 Year of Risk
The Geological Society (Burlington House)
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
Deadline: 10 May 2017
Whatever sector you work in, your success will hinge to some degree or other on the activities of the Earth on which we live.
Now, for the first time, the Society is hosting a conference bringing together leading Earth Scientists and practitioners from a range of other sectors to share experiences, practices and technologies to collectively learn how we can better manage risk.
Session themes will cover:
- What is risk, how do different sectors and disciplines approach it and how does it leave us vulnerable at different scales?
- Lessons for Earth Scientists from other sectors with a heightened exposure, e.g. aviation, healthcare, big engineering, performance sports
- Different sectors' experience of management of risk, from the organisational level down to the modelling of uncertainties around given activities
- The nature of the Earth's hazards and how they translate into meaningful and dramatic consequences for society, e.g. for finance, urban development, contingency planning
- How we can best use technology to identify, manage and communicate risks and their uncertainties
- Understanding the dangers and exceptional capabilities of human behaviour from event-based stress through consideration of long-range natural hazards
Call for papers - Deadline: 10 May 2017
In addition to invited speakers, we are keen to hear from anyone who has tangible examples of lessons in risk management for/from Earth Sciences involving other sectors. These will most likely be industry, commerce, the public sector, defence/security or academic disciplines, but could also, for instance, be from non-profit, community or media organisations.
We would welcome formal presentations, short TED-style talks, practical demonstrations or posters, whatever reasonable way that can get the message and exchange of ideas across.
Please submit your paper to Georgina Worrall as a Word document.
You can either register for this conference online or download the PDF registration form and return it to the Conference Office.
If you are an IRM Member, you can register online by selecting the 'Other Societies' rate.
Non Member - academic
You can not register for this conference rate online. Please download the PDF registration form and return it to the Conference Office.
Pre-conference linked events
Prior to this conference, there will be workshops bringing together operators and service providers from both mining and oil & gas to explore our understanding of risk faced extractive sector and methods by which we can better manage them.
Workshops into key risks faced by both mining and oil & gas.
Tips on managing risks from our operators’ CEOs, Heads of Geoscience and Chief Risk Officers.
For further information about these workshops, please visit the event webpage.
Glen Burridge (Glen Burridge & Associates)
Sarah Gordon (The Geological Society/Satarla)
Georgina Worrall (The Geological Society)