Item has been added to bibliography
Please login to use email notification
Earth Science Week 2016: Celebrate Geology in a Graveyard
08 - 09 October 2016
Geology Walk, Field Trip
Earth Science Week 2016
Various venues around Oxford
The wide range of rock types used for gravestones means that cemeteries can be geological treasure-troves. For geologists – whether amateur, student or professional – almost any urban cemetery provides a valuable opportunity to carry out scientific field work at leisure, right on the doorstep, and at no cost. Gravestones made of a wide range of stone types and a walk through a cemetery offers an excellent opportunity to introduce and look at geology in a new way.
To celebrate Earth Sciences week (8 – 16 October 2016) we are offering free guided geological walks through 5 churchyards and cemeteries in Oxford, aimed at secondary school students or the general public - no prior knowledge required.
The cemeteries we will be visiting all feature in a new book, The Geology of Oxford Gravestones by Nina Morgan and Philip Powell. Copies of the book, costing £14.99, will be available to examine and buy after the walk. To find out more visit www.gravestonegeology.uk.
Whether these gravestone geology walks inspire you to take up the study of geology or not, one thing is certain. You'll never look at cemeteries in the same way again!
*Unfortunately walks on Friday 14th and Saturday 15th (St Andrew's Church, Headington Municipal Cemetery, SS Mary and St John chuchyard) are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances*
Times and dates:
- Saturday 8 October 2:30 – 3:30 St Sepulchre’s Cemetery, Walton St, Oxford OX1 2HD
- Sunday 9 October 2:30 – 3:30 St Thomas the Martyr churchyard, Becket Street, Oxford OX1 1JL
- Friday 14 October 11:30 – 12:30 St Andrew's Church Headington churchyard, OX3 9DL CANCELLED
- Friday 14 October 2:30 – 3:30 Headington Municipal Cemetery , Dunstan Rd, Headington OX3 9BY CANCELLED
- Saturday 15 October 2:30 – 3:30 SS Mary and St John churchyard, Cowley Rd, Oxford OX4 1UR CANCELLED
Cost & Further information
Free to attend. No need to book, just turn up.
The walk is not suitable for those with walking difficulties, nor for children in buggies. Uneven ground so participants should wear comfortable walking shoes or trainers.