Please read these terms and conditions carefully. By accessing this website you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions below. These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice, from time to time in our sole discretion. We will notify you of amendments to these terms and conditions by posting them to the website. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, please do not access this website.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Links to and from the Geological Society's website do not mean that that we endorse or approve those websites or the accuracy and reliability of their content. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information.
- Use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- You may use the Geological Society’s RSS feed on your website, blog or other product or service, as long as the Geological Society’s feeds that you subscribed to are displayed in full and accurately.
The Geological Society of London has a liberal view on the re-use of its published content for legitimate research, study, teaching and communication, provided its legitimate interests are not damaged in so doing. It is essential, however, that any party seeking permission to re-use content from the website makes a formal request to the Geological Society, and that the source of material is fully acknowledged.
Every effort has been made to trace copyright holders of material on this website. If any rights have been omitted, the publishers offer their apologies.
Please visit our Permissions page or email the web team for more information about applying for permission.
- Fellows are provided with login details (username and password) with which they may access restricted sections of the Society’s website, as well as selected electronic content hosted on the Lyell Collection and in Geofacets-GSL Millennium Edition.
- Login details are provided solely for the personal use of Fellows (ie to assist in their own learning, research or work). Login details may not be shared with, or provided to, any other person for any purpose, nor may material accessed or downloaded by any Fellow be shared with, or provided to, any other person.
- Fellows are permitted to make reasonable use of electronic content hosted on the Lyell Collection. “Reasonable use” is considered to be up to 75 article downloads per month, but should in no case exceed 100 article downloads per month.
- The Society actively monitors usage and will contact Fellows whose download rates appear excessive. If excessive downloads continue the Society reserves the right to re-set Fellows’ login details or, in extreme cases, bar access to electronic services altogether.
- From 2010 all Fellows’ journal subscriptions derived as a benefit of Society membership are online-only. Additional print copies may be available on payment of a surcharge provided membership registration or renewal is complete by 1st January of the relevant journal subscription year. There is no guarantee that late requests for print subscriptions (ie those received after 1st January) can be honoured.
- Fellows who wish to retain a copy of record of their journal(s) of choice should download and save PDFs of relevant journal articles for safe keeping, or secure print copies as described in 5, above.
It is the Geological Society’s intention that users have access to the widest possible range of content and that this content can be shared to enable the most effective research, study, teaching and practice of the Earth sciences. However, it is important that users recognise the substantial investment made by the Geological Society in protecting and enhancing the quality of the content it publishes. It is necessary, therefore, to impose conditions on the use of material available within the Lyell Collection.
In no event shall the Geological Society of London nor its host, HighWire Press, be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, punitive or consequential damage (including, but not limited to, loss of data, business disruption or loss of profits) arising out of the use of, or the inability to use, Lyell Collection content.
The content of the Lyell Collection is provided “as is”, and neither the Geological Society of London nor its host, HighWire Press, warrant or guarantee its accuracy, completeness, fitness for particular purpose or non-infringement.
Descriptions of, or references to, products, publications or services, or inclusion of any advertisement, neither constitutes nor implies guarantee, endorsement, support or approval of that product, publication or service.
There is no guarantee that the information contained online in the Lyell Collection is identical to that contained in any print version.
By accessing or using the Geofacets-GSL Millennium Edition via this site Fellows (Members) agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of use:
- Access to the Geofacets-GSL Millennium Edition is not granted until full payment of membership fees to GSL has been made;
- Registered Fellows may extract individual maps from the Geofacets-GSL Millennium Edition and upload them on and integrate them into a personal secure geological software analysis system for internal and personal use only;
- Registered Fellows acknowledge that Elsevier is the owner of the Geofacets products and shall have the right to enforce any non-compliance with the mentioned terms and conditions of use; and
- Access to the Geofacets-GSL Millennium Edition is conditional upon an active membership of GSL. Your access rights shall automatically expire upon termination or expiration of your membership with GSL.