Books & Arts
Instructions for reviewers and publishers
Titles available for review are advertised below. If you are a Fellow of the Society and would like to review one of them for us, please write to the Editor. You will be invited to keep the book in return for your efforts.
Geoscientist reviews are all 400 words long.
(Please note that titles advertised for review are not available from the Publishing House - unless otherwise stated.)
Geoscientist has a monthly circulation of c.12,000 copies, and is circulated exclusively to qualified professional Earth scientists worldwide, as well as Friends of the Society who are amateurs with an interest but no degree qualification in Earth sciences. If you want your book reviewed before this highly targeted readership, please send a review copy to:
Dr Ted Nield, Editor, Geoscientist, The Geological Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, LONDON W1J 0BG.
Books currently available for review by Fellows:
(Fellows of the Society only please!)
- NEW! Logging the Chalk by Rory N Mortimore 2014 Whittles Publishing. ISBN 9781849950985 357pp hbk
- NEW! Frederick W Harmer: a scientific biography by John A Kington. Apringer Briefs in Environment, Security, Development and Peace 19, 2014 ISBN 9783319077031 97pp sbk
- NEW! Tectonic Evolution of the Oman Mountains (SP392) by Rollinson et al., 2014 Geological Society of London 471pp hbk
- NEW! Sediment Provenance Studies in Hydrocarbon Exploration & Production by Scott et al., 2014, Geological Society of London SP 386420pp, hbk
- Geology off the Beaten Track - exploring South Africa's hidden treasures by Norman, N 2014 DeBeers/Struik Nature 256pp sbk
- Suffering the fire 2014 Barry Hotson. Cillian Press, 246pp sbk. A novel based on first hand experience of the Flixborough Disaster, when an oil refinery blew up causing many deaths - including that of the author's father - in 1974.
- Formation, Detection & Characterization of Extrasolar Habitable Planets 2014 Nader Haghighipour (ed) IAU (CUP) 463pp hbk
- The Finite-Difference Modelling of Earthquake Motions - Waves and Ruptures 2014 by Peter Moczo et al., Cambridge University Press 365pp hbk
- Palaeozoic Climate Cycles - their evolutionary & sedimentological Impact. Gasiewicz & Slowakiewicz 2014 Geological Society SP 376 hbk
- Isotopic Studies in Cretaceous Research, by Bojar A-v et al. (Eds) Published by The Geological Society 2013 SP 382 221pp (hbk)
- Remote Sensing of Volcanoes and Volcanic Processes: Integration Observation & Modelling, by Pyle D M et al., (Eds). Published by The Geological Society SP 380 2013 360pp (hbk)
- Thick Skin Dominated Orogens - from initial inversion to full accretion by Mencok, Mora & Cosgrove (eds)., 2013 Geological Society Special Publication 377 482pp (hbk)
- Antarctic Palaeoenvironments & Earth-Surface Processes, by Hambrey M J et al. (eds), 2013 Geological Society Special Publication 381, 506pp (hbk)
- The Seismic Analysis Code - a primer and user's guide. By George Helfrich et al. Cambridge University Press 2013 173pp sbk.
- Upstream petroleum – Fiscal and Valuation Modelling in Excel by Ken Kasriel and David Wood. Wiley Finance 2013 253pp hbk
- Global Optimization Methods in Geophysical Inversion (2nd Ed) by Mrinal K Sen and Paul L Stoffa. Cambridge University Press 2013 289pp hbk