Books & Arts
Instructions for reviewers and publishers
Titles available for review are advertised below. If you are a Fellow of the Society and would like to review one of them for us, please write to the Editor. You will be invited to keep the book in return for your efforts.
Geoscientist reviews are all 400 words long.
(Please note that titles advertised for review are not available from the Publishing House - unless otherwise stated.)
Geoscientist has a circulation of some 11,000 pcm, and is circulated exclusively to qualified professional Earth scientists worldwide, as well as Friends of the Society who are amateurs with an interest but no degree qualification in Earth sciences. If you want your book reviewed before this highly targeted readership, please send a review copy to:
Dr Ted Nield, Editor, Geoscientist, The Geological Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, LONDON W1J 0BG.
Books currently available for review by Fellows:
(Fellows of the Society only please!)
- NEW! A Stratigraphical basis for the Anthropocene by Waters et al., 2014 Geological Society of London SP 395 321pp, hbk
- NEW! Sediment Provenance Studies in Hydrocarbon Exploration & Production by Scott et al., 2014, Geological Society of London SP 386420pp, hbk
- NEW! Geophysics for the Mineral Exploration Geoscientist by Dentith, M & Mudge S T 2014 Cambridge University Press 438pp, hbk
- NEW! Geodynamics (3rd Edn) by Turcotte D and Schubert, G 2014 Cambridge University Press 623pp sbk
- NEW! Harness oil & Gas Big Data with Analytics by Holdaway, K R. 2014 John Wiley364pp hbk
- NEW! Source Mechanisms of Earthquakes, theory & practice by Uidas, A et al., 2014 Cambridge University Press 302pp hbk
- NEW! Geostatistical Reservoir Modelling (2nd Edn) by Pryce M and Deutsch C V 2014 Oxford University Press 433pp hbk
- NEW! Geology off the Beaten Track - exploring South Africa's hidden treasures by Norman, N 2014 DeBeers/Struik Nature 256pp sbk
- Suffering the fire 2014 Barry Hotson. Cillian Press, 246pp sbk. A novel based on first hand experience of the Flixborough Disaster, when an oil refinery blew up causing many deaths - including that of the author's father - in 1974.
- Formation, Detection & Characterization of Extrasolar Habitable Planets 2014 Nader Haghighipour (ed) IAU (CUP) 463pp hbk
- The Finite-Difference Modelling of Earthquake Motions - Waves and Ruptures 2014 by Peter Moczo et al., Cambridge University Press 365pp hbk
- Materials Critical to the Energy Industry - an introduction (2nd Edn.) Volker Zepf et al., 2014. BP/UNIA 90pp sbk
- Palaeozoic Climate Cycles - their evolutionary & sedimentological Impact. Gasiewicz & Slowakiewicz 2014 Geological Society SP 376 hbk
- World Mineral Production 2008-2012 Centenary Edition. Brown T J et al., British Geological Survey 2014 115pp (sbk)
- Isotopic Studies in Cretaceous Research, by Bojar A-v et al. (Eds) Published by The Geological Society 2013 SP 382 221pp (hbk)
- Remote Sensing of Volcanoes and Volcanic Processes: Integration Observation & Modelling, by Pyle D M et al., (Eds). Published by The Geological Society SP 380 2013 360pp (hbk)
- Thick Skin Dominated Orogens - from initial inversion to full accretion by Mencok, Mora & Cosgrove (eds)., 2013 Geological Society Special Publication 377 482pp (hbk)
- Antarctic Palaeoenvironments & Earth-Surface Processes, by Hambrey M J et al. (eds), 2013 Geological Society Special Publication 381, 506pp (hbk)
- Biological and Gelogical Perspectives on Dinoflagellates, by Lewis J M et al., (eds), 2013 Micropalaeontological Society Special Publications. Geological Society Publishing House. 373pp (hbk)
- The Seismic Analysis Code - a primer and user's guide. By George Helfrich et al. Cambridge University Press 2013 173pp sbk.
- Upstream petroleum – Fiscal and Valuation Modelling in Excel by Ken Kasriel and David Wood. Wiley Finance 2013 253pp hbk
- Global Optimization Methods in Geophysical Inversion (2nd Ed) by Mrinal K Sen and Paul L Stoffa. Cambridge University Press 2013 289pp hbk