Books & Arts
Instructions for reviewers and publishers
Titles available for review are advertised below. If you are a Fellow of the Society and would like to review one of them for us, please write to the Editor. You will be invited to keep the book in return for your efforts.
Geoscientist reviews are all 400 words long.
(Please note that titles advertised for review are not available from the Publishing House - unless otherwise stated.)
Geoscientist has a monthly circulation of c.12,000 copies, and is circulated exclusively to qualified professional Earth scientists worldwide, as well as Friends of the Society who are amateurs with an interest but no degree qualification in Earth sciences. If you want your book reviewed before this highly targeted readership, please send a review copy to:
Dr Ted Nield, Editor, Geoscientist, The Geological Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, LONDON W1J 0BG.
Books currently available for review by Fellows
(Fellows of the Society only please!)
NEW! Groundbreakers - the story of oilfield technology and the people who made it happen, by Mark Mau and Henry Edmundson. Fastprint Publishing 2015, 462pp sbk.
NEW! Glaciers - the politics of ice, by Jorge Daniel Taillant. Oxford University Press 2015. hbk, 334pp.
NEW! Geomorphology of Central America - a synergistic perspective by Jean-Pierre Bergoeing. Elsevier 2015. 162pp, sbk
NEW! Geofluids – developments in microthermometry, spectroscopy, thermodynamics and stable isotopes, by Vratislav Hurai et al. Elsevier, 489pp, sbk.2015
NEW! Extraterrestrial Seismology, by Vincent Tong and Rafael Garcia (Eds). Cambridge UP, 2015. 441pp, hbk
- The Role of Volatiles in the Genesis, Evolution and Eruption of Arc Magmas, by G F Zellmer et al., (eds). Geological Society of London Special Publication 410.2015292pp, hbk.
- Cave - Nature & Culture by Raph Crane & Lisa Fletcher. Reaktion Books 'Earth Series', 2015. 222pp, sbk.
- Beyond Governments - making collective governance work: lessons from the extractive industries transparency initiative, by Rich & Moberg. Greenleaf Press 2015153pp, sbk.
- Miner Indiscretions by John Ardeman. 2015. A comic novel. Privately printed, 342pp sbk.
- Global Heritage Stone: towards international recognition of building and ornamental stones by Pereira, D et al (eds). Geological Society SP 407. 2015. 275pp hbk
- Energy, the subtle concept – the discovery of Feynman’s blocks from Leibniz to Einstein by Jennifer Coopersmith (revised) 2015 Oxford University press 422pp, sbk.
- Precession, Nutation and Wobble of the Earth by Dehant and Mathews 2015. Cambridge University Press, 536pp, hbk.
- The native woodlands of Scotland - ecology, conservation and management by Scott McG Wilson. Edinburgh Univ. Press., 271pp, sbk.
- From Somerset to the Pyrenees - in the steps of William Arthur Jones, Geologist and Antiquary by David Rabson. Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society 2015109pp, sbk.
- Geodynamic Processes in the Andes of Central Chile and Argentina by Sepulveda et al. Geological Society Special Publication #399
- Fundamental Controls on Fluid Flow in Carbonates by Agar et al., Geological Society Special Publication #406
- Volcanism and Tectonism Across the Inner Solar System by Platz et al. Geological Society Special Publication #401
- The Use of Palaeomagnetism and Rock Magnetism to Understand Volcanic Processes by Ort et al. Geological Society of London Special Publication #396
- Exploring the Nevis Range and Mamores,by James Barnet. Mereo, Cirencester. 253pp, sbk
- A Memoir to the Map & Delineation of the Strata of England & Wales with part of Scotland by William Smith. Facsimile edition, British Geological Survey 52pp sbk
- Hidden Riches - a celebration of the Mining Institute of Scotland, by Richard Crocket, with Craig Durham & Graham Smith 2015 The Mining Institute of Scotland 134p, sbk.
- Experiments in Reduced Gravity - sediment settling on Mars by Nicholas Kuhn 2015 Elsevier166pp sbk
- Arsenic - Environmental Geoschenistry, Mineralogy and Microbiology by Bowell R J et al., (eds), Reviews in Mineralogy & Geochemistry v. 79. Mineralogical Society of America/Geochemical Society. pbk 635pp.
- Quaternary sea-level changes - a global perspective, by Murray-Wallace and Woodroffe. Cambridge UP, 2014
- Aquatic Organic Matter Fluorescence, Ed by Paula Coble et al., 2014 Cambridge UP
- Frederick W Harmer: a scientific biography by John A Kington. Apringer Briefs in Environment, Security, Development and Peace 19, 2014 ISBN 9783319077031 97pp sbk
- Tectonic Evolution of the Oman Mountains (SP392) by Rollinson et al., 2014 Geological Society of London 471pp hbk
- Sediment Provenance Studies in Hydrocarbon Exploration & Production by Scott et al., 2014, Geological Society of London SP 386420pp, hbk
- Suffering the fire 2014 Barry Hotson. Cillian Press, 246pp sbk. A novel based on first hand experience of the Flixborough Disaster, when an oil refinery blew up causing many deaths - including that of the author's father - in 1974.
- Formation, Detection & Characterization of Extrasolar Habitable Planets 2014 Nader Haghighipour (ed) IAU (CUP) 463pp hbk
- The Finite-Difference Modelling of Earthquake Motions - Waves and Ruptures 2014 by Peter Moczo et al., Cambridge University Press 365pp hbk