Books & Arts
Instructions for reviewers and publishers
Titles available for review are advertised below. If you are a Fellow of the Society and would like to review one of them for us, please write to the Editor. You will be invited to keep the book in return for your efforts.
Geoscientist reviews are all 400 words long.
(Please note that titles advertised for review are not available from the Publishing House - unless otherwise stated.)
Geoscientist has a circulation of some 11,000 pcm, and is circulated exclusively to qualified professional Earth scientists worldwide, as well as Friends of the Society who are amateurs with an interest but no degree qualification in Earth sciences. If you want your book reviewed before this highly targeted readership, please send a review copy to:
Dr Ted Nield, Editor, Geoscientist, The Geological Society of London, Burlington House, Piccadilly, LONDON W1J 0BG.
Books currently available for review by Fellows:
(Fellows of the Society only please!)
- NEW! Responsible Leadership - lessons from the front line of sustainability and ethics, by Sir Mark Moody-Stuart. 2014 Greenleaf Publishing 354pp hbk
- NEW! Essentials of Igneous & Metamorphic Petrology by Ronald Frost & Carol Frost 2014 Cambridge University Press 303pp (sbk)
NEW! Practical Seismic Data Analysis by Hua-Wei Zhou 2014 Published by Cambridge University Press 481pp (hbk)
- NEW! 52 things you should know about geology by Matt Hall (Ed) publioshed by Agile Libre 2014 130pp (sbk)
- NEW! Landmarks in Foraminiferal Micropalaeontology History 7 Development by Bowden et al., (Eds) 2013. Published by the geological Society for the Micropalaeontological Society 2014 360pp (hbk
- NEW! Antarctica and Supercontinent Evolution, by Harley S L et al (Eds). Published by The Geological Society SP 383 2013 237pp (hbk)
- NEW! Isotopic Studies in Cretaceous Research, by Bojar A-v et al. (Eds) Published by The Geological Society 2013 SP 382 221pp (hbk)
- NEW! Remote Sensing of Volcanoes and Volcanic Processes: Integration Observation & Modelling, by Pyle D M et al., (Eds). Published by The Geological Society SP 380 2013 360pp (hbk)
- NEW! Orogenic Andesites and Crustal Growth, by Gomez-Tuena A et al., (Eds) Published by The Geological Society SP 385 2014 414pp (hbk)
- A History of Geology & Medicine by Duffin, C J et al., (eds)., 2013 Geological Society Special Publication 375 490pp (hbk)
- Thick Skin Dominated Orogens - from initial inversion to full accretion by Mencok, Mora & Cosgrove (eds)., 2013 Geological Society Special Publication 377 482pp (hbk)
- Antarctic Palaeoenvironments & Earth-Surface Processes, by Hambrey M J et al. (eds), 2013 Geological Society Special Publication 381, 506pp (hbk)
- Biological and Gelogical Perspectives on Dinoflagellates, by Lewis J M et al., (eds), 2013 Micropalaeontological Society Special Publications. Geological Society Publishing House. 373pp (hbk)
- Environmental & Criminal Geoforensics by Pirrie, D et al., (eds) 2013. Geological Society Special Publication 384. 273pp (hbk)
- The Wyley History of the Geologists' Association in the 50 Years 1958-2008 by Bernard Elgey Leake, Arthur Clive Bishop and Richard John Howarth. Geologists' Ass. 2013 140pp sbk.
- Sorby's Legacy: Geology at the Unviersity of Sheffield by R Alison Hunter. Published by R Alison Hunter, 2013 201pp sbk
- The Seismic Analysis Code - a primer and user's guide. By George Helfrich et al. Cambridge University Press 2013 173pp sbk.
- Life Beyond Earth: the search for habitable worlds in the universe by Athena Coustenis and Therese Encrenaz. Cambridge University Press 2013 287pp hbk
- Upstream petroleum – Fiscal and Valuation Modelling in Excel by Ken Kasriel and David Wood. Wiley Finance 2013 253pp hbk
- Forensic Seismology and Nuclear Test Bans by Alan Douglas. Cambridge University Press 2013 514pp hbk
- Global Optimization Methods in Geophysical Inversion (2nd Ed) by Mrinal K Sen and Paul L Stoffa. Cambridge University Press 2013 289pp hbk
- Continuum Mechanics in the Earth Sciences by William I Newman Cambridge University Press
- Theory of Reflectance and Emittance Spectroscopy (2nd Edn) by Bruce Hapke. Cambridge University Press.