Become a Fellow
Becoming a Fellow of the Geological Society is the ideal way to enhance your career as a Geoscientist.
Fellowship is aimed at those with a degree or equivalent qualification in geology or a related subject, or with relevant experience in geology or a related subject.
Fellow Application Guidance Notes
*All Fellows of the Society, must abide by the Society’s Code of Conduct. When you sign the application form, you will be promising to abide by the code if elected. Fellows will also need to agree to the terms and conditions for the access and use of electronic services.*
How can membership benefit you
As a Fellow you will be joining an international community of geoscientists. You will also be able to participate in the Society's activities to promote Geoscience and access a wealth of information and knowledge. We offer a range of benefits, which include;
- Access to one of the most important and extensive geological libraries in the world – with over 90 journals available remotely online
- Access to the Society’s online CV posting service
- Free monthly magazine, Geoscientist
- Free online access to one of the Society’s prestigious journals of your choice
- Up to 50% discounts on books and special publications
- Reduced rates for conference and events
- And being part of the primary Geoscientific Community in the UK through free membership of Regional and Special interest groups and networks
These are only some of the key benefits we offer. Visit our benefits page
for a full list.
How much does it cost?
- Age 27 and under: £70.00
- Age 28-33 : £130.00
- Age 34-59 : £198.00
- Age 60-69 : £99.00
- Age 70+ : £68.00
- Overseas : £152.00
- RAS Fellows rate : £148.50
Our Fees page provides more details on fellowship fees.
Timetable for membership applications
Membership applications are usually processed within two weeks, following which email confirmation is sent to the applicant. All members (Fellows/Candidate Fellows and Junior Candidate Fellows) must be elected by Council, which meets five times during the year. However, applicants may access member benefits from the date the application is processed.
The following table lists closing dates for applications to be received and processed and the corresponding election dates:
Application for Fellowship
|Closing date for applications
to be received/processed
| 24 October 2016
|| 30 November 2016
31 December 2016
|1 February 2017
| 28 February 2017
| 4 April 2017
| Mid May 2017 TBC
| Mid June 2017 TBC
| Mid August 2017 TBC
| Mid September 2017 TBC
| Mid/End October 2017 TBC
| End of November 2017